Saturday, July 27, 2013

DECIBEL MAGAZINE: ISSUE #107


Howdy, outlaws. Just received my subscriber copy of Decibel Magazine and wanted to list my articles in this fine issue. Awesome to see Erik Danielsson of Watain on the cover; briefly met him over at Duff’s Bar in Brooklyn for a listening party of The Wild Hunt. Here are the three pieces I had in this issue:

Page 16: The 2013 Decibel Magazine Tour review. While I wasn’t able to meet EIC Albert Mudrian at the show I did witness him share the stage with Napalm Death. Upon hearing this he offered me an article reviewing the Brooklyn stop of the tour. As I state in the opening line, if I knew before-hand I’d be covering the show I wouldn’t have drank so much, and maybe wouldn’t have been so obsessed with hair.

Page 34: Ramming Speed - Doomed to Destroy, Destined to Die profile. Even though the band’s van broke down just a few hours before the interview, drummer Jonah Livingston was still one of the coolest, friendliest guys I’ve had the pleasure of profiling for the magazine. I caught their show a week after the interview at Saint Vitus with Valient Thorr and Gypsyhawk and they totally rip. The album’s in my top 5 of the year right now. So, so good.

Page 88: Lord Dying - Summon the Faithless review. A totally solid debut album from this Portland, OR band. Tough, muscular metal with a definite High on Fire vibe. I had a few minor criticisms but gave it a 7/10. They are touring with Howl right now and I could see them being great live. Looking forward to future albums by these guys.

Next month’s issue only has one review from me, but that means I actually get to read the issue without having cardiac arrest while searching for typos in my articles. Issue should be on shelves late next week if you’re still one of those weirdos who ventures into the world and stores and stuff to buy things. Just order stuff online like the rest of us Morlocks.

Go over here to subscribe to Decibel Magazine. At $29.95 for a whole year this is one of the biggest bargains out there. The writing staff is fantastic, the editors are awesome, and the design is sleek and filled with trippy illustrations. Definitely worth your money:  http://store.decibelmagazine.com/collections/subscriptions-renewals

No comments:

Post a Comment