Saturday, June 22, 2013

UPDATE: DECIBEL MAGAZINE ISSUE #106


Howdy, outlaws. Just received my subscriber copy of Decibel Magazine and wanted to list my articles in this fine issue. I incorrectly thought Amon Amarth had grimaced on a Decibel cover within the past year or so, but it’s been more like two and a half. Nothing wrong with them, but I’m still waiting for a Church of Misery cover. Here are the three pieces I had in this issue:

Page 23: Lesbian band profile. I talked to the thoughtful, shroom-snacking Seattle band about their new album ForesTeleVision and the female space warrior they discovered together. The album is one amazing 44 minute track that ranges from funeral doom to sludgy groove to earthy ambiance and King Diamond-inspired galloping metal. Check them out now, they're sprawlingly awesome.

Page 92: Black Tusk - Tend No Wounds review. I have really enjoyed stuff but these guys in the past, and I bet their new songs from this EP would be solid live, but I wasn’t feeling it. I gave it a 6/10 and submitted some snarky baseball related barbs. It was tough, I really wanted to like this EP.

Page 99: Naam - Vow review. These fellow Brooklynites rank high on the coolness scale with a casual charm and swaggering approach to their amp-busting, fuzzed-out stoner rock. I gave their new album an 8/10 and recommend this to anyone into stoner/doom music. Not among the heaviest albums of the year, and there are a few throw-away interludes, but some of this songwriting is just god damn incredible.

Pick it up this week, and check out some other awesome articles (with the Maryland Deathfest review, Shawn Macomber’s piece on Integrity’s Dwid Hellion, and Kevin Stewart-Panko’s Pig Destroyer HOF entry as my favorites).

Go over here to subscribe to Decibel Magazine. At $29.95 for a whole year this is one of the biggest bargains out there:  http://store.decibelmagazine.com/collections/subscriptions-renewals


No comments:

Post a Comment